Catholic life began humbly on July 13, 1913, when Father Michael Puig, pastor of San Patricio, arrived on horseback to say Mass. The first Mass was held in the Henry Diersing home, where five families were present.
In January 1914, Bishop Nussbaum requested Father Erasmo Glockner of St. Joseph’s in Alice to organize a mission church in Orange Grove. The first church cost $1,000 and was named St. John of the Cross. Mass was said twice a month; by 1916, there were 24 registered families.
Two years later, St. John of the Cross became a mission of Sacred Heart Parish in Falfurrias, and the priest traveled by train to say Mass. Later that year, the Altar Society was officially formed. Bishop Ledvina, though, was unhappy about the church being located directly opposite the dance hall, so the present church property was purchased from Mrs. Josephine (George) Reynolds for $600, and the original church was moved to the new property.
St. John of the Cross Mission became a parish on January 1, 1925, and Father Frank Kasper was the first resident pastor. In 1926, the new parish had grown to 70 families.
Father J.J. Hoellman, who had served as a pastor since 1930, was determined to build a new church, and after facing many financial difficulties, the new church was dedicated on June 10, 1951. The parish continued to grow but still had debts to pay off. In the 1960s, Father Charles McNaboe organized the “Bingo Games,” for which Orange Grove became somewhat famous. Hundreds of cars would converge on the town on Monday evenings, doubling its population. The debt was paid off in four years. At a nominal cost, he purchased buildings from the Naval Air Station, Corpus Christi, and moved them to the church property, converting them into CCD classrooms and a parish hall.
In the fall of 1977, Father Seamus McGowan came to St. John of the Cross, during which time the church was remodeled to its present state. During his sixteen-year stay, the registered families doubled in number. Father McGowan was instrumental in uniting the churches of Orange Grove in a way they had never been before.”
In 1983, Dorian David asked Father McGowan if he could form a Knights of Columbus Council. On March 19, 1983, the Supreme Council of the Knights of Columbus granted the St. John of the Cross Council No. 8335 Charter. On September 10th, 2000, the Parish celebrated 75 years. The parish youth group traveled to Rome for World Youth Day.
In 2006, under the guidance of Father Prince, the building committee, led by Tom Karkoska, Natalie David, Ben Schutte and other committee members, along with many volunteers, began the much-needed renovation of the church's interior. A new tabernacle and a new altar were installed. The faded red carpet was replaced with a blue carpet. The aged white pews were replaced with beautiful wooden pews with blue upholstery.
The parish didn’t stop improving its buildings: In March 2013, the new 3,100-square-foot office/rectory was blessed and dedicated, and in December 2017, the new Religious Education building was completed.
On July 10, 2018, the parish welcomed Father Patrick Donohoe as its new pastor. In January 2022, he formed a Centennial Committee, and after raising funds through a raffle, the committee felt inspired to restore the original church bell and build a bell tower on the grounds. The Knights of Columbus graciously offered to take on the financial responsibility of engineering, fabricating, and erecting the new bell tower. In November 2024, the tower's erection and hanging were completed. The blessing and dedication of the church bell and tower will be part of the Centennial Celebration.
St. John of the Cross now has 601 registered families with 326 parishioners who tithe regularly. The parish celebrates its 100th anniversary with a family celebration on Saturday, April 26, from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. There will be inflatables, mariachis, face painters, balloon artists, and other fun events.
On Sunday, April 27th, there will be the blessing of the new church bell at 10:15 am, followed by a solemn Mass and lunch. There will be old pictures on display, and a photo backdrop for pictures.